Friday, November 20, 2009

Beaker and Flask

When old friends Tran and Vi decided we were to meet up for long overdue drinks at Beaker and Flask, I half wasn't expecting anything (since I didn't have time to read the reviews beforehand) and half expecting a dusty, old school, wooden paneled bar with cowboys sipping whiskey (based on the name of the place). I know that scene is unlikely in Portland, but with my limited vocabulary, that was the closest I could get. Although I should have known. Not only is that scene unlikely, but it's especially unlikely when it's a recommendation from Tran :) The place oozed chi chi chic and maybe more so due to its inconspicuous location, sitting on an obscure corner lot and appearing out of nowhere on the SE end of (none other than) Sandy Blvd! I wish I got a picture of the building's exterior. It was kind of fearless and very now. I liked it!!!

What meant to be happy hour became dinner with two bottles of wine, which should not surprise you to hear the night flew by, with much of it a distant memory for me. So I couldn't tell you if their drink menu was extensive or not or whether there was any bourbon ( though I'd be really surprised if there wasn't) or even cowboys. But the food! The food was unforeseeingly delicious (I only remember this because it was on my camera - see below) and the wine even better. Did you know 2006 was not a good year (for wine)? Boy, the things we learned from Vi that night! If you can begin to fathom a girl that is more high strung than me, add in a bit of dynamism, sprinkle on some spirit and you've got Vi. Funny thing is, she claims she's anti-social!!!

Ricotta Gnudi, Leeks, Squash, Cream

Grilled Alaskan Spot Prawns, Millas, Fall Vegetables

Maple Braised Pork Belly, Creamed Kale, Delicata Squash, Apple Relish

Panna Cotta, Bruléed Peach, Aged Balsamic

1 comment:

  1. Wow the food looked awesome from the pics and I was there! LOL It was definitely deliscious food, good wine, and great company. Looking forward to next month and a new spot.

    ReplyDelete