Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bombay Cricket Club

I heard about this restaurant years ago, but recently, my friend Allison was raving about it. After reading reviews on Citysearch and Yelp however, I wasn't so sure what to expect. It seemed like diners either hated it or loved it, but the reviews were split almost evenly down the middle. Nevertheless, I was craving Indian food and with such limited choices for Indian cuisine in Portland, a few bad reviews weren't about to stop me (so long as there was an incremental or equal amount of good reviews too). If anything, bad reviews have helped managed my expectations so that I'm usually pleasantly surprised afterwards! Plus, I really liked the name of the place :)

So we ordered a greek salad (dunno' what that was doing on the menu, but it was good so who cares), chicken tikka masala, fish vindaloo and jhinga jalfrazi (prawn curry) with garlic naan. It wasn't bad (I think I'm having a hard time straight-up dissing a restaurant since I'm new to the food blogging scene), but if I'm honest, it wasn't great either. Please bear in mind however, my last few Indian food experiences have been in the two most Indian populated cities of the world (outside of India of course), so I have certain expectations. And while I've not been to India (I'm dying to go), I did eat enough of it in the last year to know the difference between masala and marinara <---- yep, that's what the fish curry tasted like. Good thing I was with great company, so I didn't mind the food so much at the time :) So what. They didn't knock my socks off (like Indian food is suppose to), but let's put it this way - if it was horrible, I probably wouldn't bother blogging about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment