Thursday, November 12, 2009

Zell's Cafe

Being unemployed undoubtedly has its perks. You sleep in, you take naps, and you eat leisurely breakfasts on weekdays. But unfortunately, 12.2% of Oregon is in the same boat as us and they all seemed to be at Pine State Biscuits yesterday morning!

I suppose it didn't help that the place was dinky and it was also Veteran's Day. People were jam packed in there. Usually, I wouldn't mind waiting for a seat (if the place is packed, it must be good right??) but we were starving and it didn't look like we had much hope of getting a seat even before dinner time!

So we whipped out an old issue of Portland Monthly we had in the car, which had a feature on breakfasts and found the next closest restaurant on the list - Zell's Cafe, known for their omelettes and corned beef hash. There was a wait, but not nearly as long. I was disappointed we couldn't eat at Pine State Biscuits, even though I'm not a huge fan of biscuits, but the place had great reviews, so I had mentally prepared myself for it all morning. And when I have my heart set on something, it isn't so easily reconciled with an alternative. But Zell's was a pleasant recourse, making amends with me by serving us complimentary fresh, hot scones as we sat down. I don't even usually like scones, but I like them at Zell's! I wonder if Pine State will make me feel the same way about their biscuits...

No comments:

Post a Comment